City Clerk

About the City Clerk

In Grover Beach, the City Clerk is appointed by the City Manager.  The Grover Beach City Clerk also serves as the Executive Assistant to the City Manager and the secretary to the City Council.  The City Clerk administers democratic processes such as elections, access to city records, and local legislative activity, ensuring transparency to the public. The City Clerk acts as a compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the Public Records Act. The City Clerk manages public inquiries and relationships and arranges ceremonial and official functions.

The City Clerk acts as the:

  • Advisory Body membership administrator
  • Agent for Service of Process
  • City Council Legislative Recordkeeper
  • Elections Official
  • Local Legislation Auditor
  • Municipal Code curator
  • Municipal Officer (corporate Secretary and keeper of City seal)
  • Political Reform Act Filing & Compliance Officer
  • Citywide Records Manager

Duties of the City Clerk's Office

The City Clerk's Office is responsible for the following:

  • Conducting regular and special municipal elections
  • Preparing and assuring public access to the City Council meeting agenda 
  • Recording meeting minutes and keeping legislative records for the City Council
  • Managing and providing access to City records, including handling Public Records Requests.
  • Recruiting, training, and membership administration for Advisory Bodies
  • Accepting claims and service of other legal documents.
  • Curating the Grover Beach Municipal Code.
  • Filing officer for Fair Political Practices Commission (Political Reform Act) filings
  • Establishing systems for preserving, protecting and destroying public records in accordance with law
  • Administering ceremonial Oaths of Office

Other Duties

Notary Public service is available as a courtesy to the public on a by-appointment basis. Notary availability varies, and no guarantee is made for walk-in service. Fees may be charged in accordance with state law. Please call (805) 473-4568 for more information.